Heritage Witchcraft Academy

The Historically Authentic Witchcraft Tradition.

Study Hall

Forum Home > Spells & Magic > Magical Mindset

Angus

A long time ago I wrote about this, but I'm going to bring it up again

Grayson talks about this a LOT, and he calls it discipline, which is completely true. I learned it as a "magical mindset". 

Why do we use a certain incense when we do the countermass? In some esoteric traditions, why do they use certain plants to represent the planets? Why do they wear robes in ceremonial magic? 

It's all magical mindset. 

When you put on the robe, and you light the incense, and you light the candles, and you feel the wand in your hand, and you hear the drum beat, your brain prepares itself for magic. Now at first you have to fake it. I was told a long time ago to fake it until I make it. Now, of course, I don't have to do that. At first you have to fake it. 

After a while of putting on the same robe that has that distinct smell, lighting that certain incense, lighting the candle, feeling the wand, hearing the drum will put your brain and your body into the mindset to create magic. This is the beginning of procedural magic. 

There will come a time when you won't need these things anymore. You will be able to feel the robe upon yourself. You will be able to summon up the scents, the sounds, the tastes to create magic without any tools. That is dynamic magic. 

It starts with helping your brain and your body memorise certain sensations. 

Does this mean we have to go "all out" ritually? No! We're witches, for goodness sake, we -like- it simple. That's why we have ONE wand, ONE central ritual, ONE meeting per month. We're much too busy with our own lives to give a 30 minute invocation to some obscure god so he can get us a new job, or whatever. 

Grayson calls it discipline, and I think that is a much better term than "magical mindset". The brain likes simple patterns. Don't overdo it, or you won't be able to perform without that specific coloured candle with the lavendar scent. A witch should be able to make magic (though a small part of the tradition, to be sure) in a concrete bunker, naked.

Need a candle for whatever reason? Does the color matter? Who cares, in my opinion. Eventually the color won't matter, and you won't even need the candle. I think that's why so many magic users fail is because they do not BECOME the magic, they rely on crutches to help them along, and eventually their brain doesn't need it, but they don't realise this. 

But it starts with faking it until you make it. Start with the training wheels, and eventually eschew the entire bike. 

Thoughts?

--

Jack and Jill went up a hill to fetch a pail of water,
Jack fell down, and broke his crown, 
And Jill came tumbling after. 

April 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bravingelements
This really clears up some things for me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
--

I dont look into the sky for a reason to live cause I found beauty right here~

April 13, 2014 at 4:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kip

Fabulous  post  Angus !!

It really got my brain cell thinking. The magic comes from within us. It does not come from the candle color, the robe or the wand.

Thanks Angus.

--

Kip

ADOPT A RESCUE PET !

April 13, 2014 at 5:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Angus

I'm glad it helped some people :) 

--

April 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Banshee

I have had a tough week, but my magical mindset came through for me again. When I was younger I tended to end up with a bestfriend who would eventually become attached to an abusive boyfriend she wouldn't leave and I would have to let her go and stop being her friend to prevent her boyfriend/husband from abusing me through her. I hadn't dealt with that in over a decade when my current best friend ended up with a new boyfriend who was showing the classic signs. I was like oh no not again! And I got really fixated on her not taking it and being strong--but you can't make women get free, they gotta do it themselves so its not like I could just tell her what to do. But I was just fixated on it not happening to me, to her and to my god children.

So anyways--after really thinking on it and running it all by Gray. I was so relieved because my bestfriend took her crazy boyfriend to the ER, he was being suicidal and blaming her. And she was just like, not my fault, you are crazy, get this fixed. They put him on anxiety meds and sent a social worker to their house. She made sure her girls were not involved by having them go have a slumber party at a neighbors. I am just really proud of my friend for not taking shit, not keeping it private, and drawing on appropriate resources like the hospital. Who knows she could still end up falling away like most of the template battered housewives with abusive partners out there. But right now she seems to be breaking the mold, which is good, I love my friend and especially her children.

I am gonna just keep on being the magic. The people who won't help themselves and draw on my energy will have to fall away, and those who enrich me and I enrich them will stay.

May 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grayson Magnus
Good news.
--

“When you know the Dhamma to be similar to a raft, you should abandon even the teachings, how much more so things contrary to the teachings.”

May 21, 2014 at 1:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Banshee

I used my wand a few months ago to cast a spell to get some office help. I really wanted to do better at my job and I knew there was just more work than I could do. My boss hired a temp to file and then she moved on. I thought maybe the spell hadn't worked. But then my boss started getting many different technologies that helped me do my job more effienciently.  He reorganized the division of labor in the office to be more focused, rather than all of us doing everything. And I just realized, I am much better at my job now. I make less mistakes. And I am proud of my work. That is what I wanted from my spell and the office assistance came in the way of tools rather than a person, but that is fine by me.

August 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grayson Magnus
I may nit pick this thread later.
--

“When you know the Dhamma to be similar to a raft, you should abandon even the teachings, how much more so things contrary to the teachings.”

August 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele
That sounds great "getting some help" can come in many forms not just human as we all know. Good job Banshee
--
August 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Angus

Grayson Magnus at August 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I may nit pick this thread later.

I may have to as well, as my thoughts on this subject have changed since I wrote this so long ago.

--

August 28, 2014 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele

I'm not sure if this is where this belongs but months ago I lost my raw emerald ring that I bought in Key West. After many attempts to find the ring I just figure it was lost and accepted it now I lost it when I was kinda a new student here and I'm pretty sure I did not perform any specific Magic but yesterday I went to see a patient we just put back on service and she was wearing my ring so now I have my ring back. I personally attribute this to my FS. Magic is so so so cool

--
February 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Banshee
Is it possible this is a ring your FS wants you to wear for some reason.
--

Who are you talking to when you talk to yourself?

February 3, 2015 at 11:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules

Glad there was a new comment on this thread, I like it when I see threads I haven't read yet :)

I am curious Angus, how your thoughts have changed since you first posted on here? 

February 3, 2015 at 11:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Angus

Mm...I think they have changed a little, but it is basically the same. 

If you are consistently doing the work, if you are surrouding yourself with the "current" and always being in the frame of mind of witchcraft, then it will come to you. If you are dwelling on your familiar spirit, Xe will be there. Whenever you see ignorance, oppression, slavery being wrought, throw it the evil eye. Fight against it. Whenever you see something beautiful, a piece of art, a piece of music, contemplate its beauty and find compassion for that beauty. 

In order to change who we are, and thus our reality, we must first change the way we think. We can not be witches if we constantly think that what we are doing is not working. We can not change reality unless we first change the mind which is changing  the reality. 

--

February 4, 2015 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules

Thanks Angus.. I missed this response in the feed and had to search for it. My mind has definetly been here.. especially the last few months, and more so each day.

February 10, 2015 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Selkie

Thank you for posting this, Angus. I was very confused by the word "discipline" for a while, not knowing what it meant in relation to witchcraft, but the way you explain it makes a lot of sense for me. 

So, basically, if we surround ourself with the spirit of witchcraft and the current all the time, we'll be able to recall that feeling when we need to tap into it. This is the discipline that comes from the mindfulness from the meditation we're to do daily, coupled with the focus and concentration to manifest our desires combined. This has helped me understand better and fill in the blanks on several questions I was forming.

--

"Pillowed on the sea-wrack, brown am I,
On the gleaming white-sheen sand
Lulled by the sweet croon of the waves I lie
Could slumber deep, part thee and me..."

November 5, 2015 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ava

I can not say I am really into the draw a circle and make a chant for protection as I cast a spell type of gal.  If I feel I need to cast a spell I cast it right then and there.  There are times that I put more into my casting my spells and I go all out with it.  Like a spell I did with filling a hazel nut.  I am confident that the spell would have worked without filling the hazel nut. But me actually taking the time to fill the hazel nut made the spell that much more potent. The enegry used was more direct, it was more certain to what outcome I was looking for, and it was more intentional.  I felt the magic running through my vains.  I was more aware of the energies at work.  It took and still takes a lot of practice to get to these points.  Although, I do not want to depend on these elements to be the only way I can conduct my magic, I also do not want to forget they play a very important part in my magic as well.   They have very strong properties from the robe all the way down to a color of a candle or the type of incent.  I just remember I am using the energy from the properties.  And all magic is using some sort of energy.   

--

Reach from within.....

March 10, 2017 at 12:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sacha X

Meditation is a key element. It's just like how FM radio waves are around us at all times - and that signal can be picked up and understood when we tune a radio to that frequency. As far as I know, the spirit realm / magic realm is just like the FM radio waves; it is always there around us. Tuning ourselves to that frequency allows us to operate in that realm. Daily meditation helps us feel how to access that relm more easily. I have mini meditation moments daily because I do not completely tune out of it, I just become aware. If I feel the need to use objects (like a wand, candle, etc), it just comes to me because it feels like it is the right thing to use.

--

~~~~Ignore all spelling errors please~~~~

March 13, 2017 at 6:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Banshee
I think that sometimes we use items because they are alive with spiritual energy too. And if those things have their own properties for magical purposes then we can direct those dynamic energies to side our goals.
--

Who are you talking to when you talk to yourself?

March 14, 2017 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ava

I like that radio frequency example.  I have to remember that one Sacha X.  And I agree Banshee.  

--

Reach from within.....

March 16, 2017 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.